Board Work Session

Work Session:

Missy Toucher—speaking about TECC

 

Kurt Sugars—budget (currently there is a deficit of $235,000—it is a working budget)

 

Kyle Schumacher—Affordable housing (someone interested in buying a lot from the school…some decisions need to be made)

 

Ken Olson—allow businesses to access roof of elementary school for wi-fi and we get bandwidth

 

Board Session:

No vote on calendar 2015-16 calendar…will vote on 2014-15 calendar.

 

Janis Heigl—math trainer—gave an update on what she is doing with teachers.

 

Ursula Cristol—cultural liaison—would like to change title to family liaison.   Maintain open communication between school and families.

 

School board reports:

-Rick Silverman: went to elementary accountability mtg. Went to math night at the elementary school—awesome!

-Cheryl Miller: went to bilingual info mtg and CASB meeting in Denver.  There has been a concerted effort to let legislators know that we need funding restored. Went to 2027 mtg.

-Banks Brown: HS accountability mtg.  Students felt things were going well.  Discussion focused around testing scores.  Students, parents, and teachers should sit down together to discuss what the test scores really mean.

-Melissa Plantz: HS accountability mtg. Analyze data that students get from test scores. Went to 2027 mtg.

-Paul Reich: retreat—be future directed, 2014-15 budget, staff/board interaction, curriculum initiatives, physical plan of buildings, safety of schools, construction bond?

 

Kyle’s update: send out RFP to look at growth/facilities

Safety: what can we do to make our school safe?

Aging infrastructure: we need to maintain our buildings

Math committee: looking at curriculum—ready to make a step/recommendation

 

Approve Consent Agenda: approved

Action Items: approved

12B-Superintendent contract—extend to June 30, 2016—approved

12C-District calendar (2-14-15)—(not approving early release)—approved

12D-resolve to erasing negative factor—approved

12E-state generated policy—approved

~Thanks to Robbin for taking notes.

Board Meeting Notes

Notes on SCHOOL BOARD WORK SESSION: February 11, 14

Discussion Items

  1. Dr. Schumacher comments on the success of the High School Winter Formal
  2. Accountability Committee: Met with Global Fluency Committee-kudos to teachers who served on the committee
  3. M/H School Accountability-Banks Brown commends Mike Conran on Winter Formal
  4. Cheryl Miller-attended the Technology Committee
  5. Paul Reich-attended Calendar Committee meetings
  6. Rick Silverman- mentions that there will be orientation meetings for parents interested in the Global Fluency and how the lottery will work.

Orientation Meeting: March 11th 8:30 and 5:30pm in TES cafeteria

  1. Chad Terry presents TIS Literacy Instruction-
  • Content vs. Skills- How do we give students skill that they need?
  • Examine PBL system-teach skills through PBLs
  • Orton Gillingham training has helped struggling readers
  • Kathy King Dickman Workshop- TIS purchased “Making Meaning” program kits for teachers

H. Dr. Schumacher Goals Update:

Information for the Calendar for 2014-15.

  • Days off have been consolidated K-12 have the same days off.
  • Discussion about instituting an Early Release K-12 to provide an opportunity for teacher to have structured collaborative meetings.

Global Fluency-

  • Information on Orientation meeting, why Spanish is the first choice, lottery etc.

Literacy & Math-

  • Janis Heigel & Seth Berg-trainings
  • Bringing in Orton Gillingham training
  • Technology-TIS tech crew-kids helping teachers and peers

TSD 2027-An opportunity on March 7 & 12 for teachers & community members to look at what skills kids need to graduate

Goal: by end of May to set objectives and goals then develop an action plan

I. Paul Reich- approves the Budget discussion from last meeting

G. School Board- retreat March 13 and Work session March 18

H. Rick Silverman hope to refine process for Linkage meeting.

 

Notes thanks to Mary Alice Wagner

Board Meeting Notes

Notes on SCHOOL BOARD WORK SESSION: JANUARY 21, 2014

Discussion Items

  1. Scott Doser, Palm Artistic Director

After 90 days at the Palm he has three goals:

1. Bring in more programming to the Palm for the community, extending outside of Telluride to the region.

Sharing productions with other regional theaters from Ouray, Montrose, etc.

Advertising in regional towns to bring people to Telluride for shows.

Looking at the timing of bookings to capitalize on number of people in town.

Looking at the cost of putting on a show when considering bookings.

2. Build a strong Palm membership of people who have buy-in to the theater.

3. Find ways to make the Palm more accessible to community groups who could use the theater space.

Teacher use of the Palm is currently being booked by Kathy Jepson. Scott is looking at combining the three current scheduling calendars into one.

There are repairs that need to be taken care of. District would like to fix things now rather than wait and have the cost increase as time goes by.

  1. TTA Update-Tava
  • Started in July with summer tech re-boot camp. Many teachers took courses. These workshops have continued through Technology Tuesdays with James, Chery, and Christopher, giving teachers information they can use in the classroom immediately.
  • Governance board is meeting and talking about how to use My Learning Plan. Teachers can currently describe trainings and request credit through this web-site. The committee is looking at rigor of conferences and workshops and looking for classroom application when deciding if credit will be given. Credit will be given for trainings that truly help the teacher be a better teacher. Teachers can individualize their own PD and suggest course ideas to TTA.
  • Next step is to make a plan for the summer institute. Looking for teacher input. Technology, dual immersion, math, literacy, and science curriculum at the elementary school are topics currently being considered.
  • Kyle: My Learning Plan is in place and he is already approving credits. He is looking forward to using the feedback piece to guide further trainings as well as track the types of PD teachers are taking.
  • Kyle: Trainings we have here are always offered to other districts.
  • Kyle: Trainings that teachers take will always be a combination of workshops given by TSD faculty, workshops given at TSD by outside instructors, university courses, and regional and national conferences.
  1. Budget Adjustment
  • Received a grant for the READ Act for TES (K-3). One time thing.
  • $3000 small library grant district wide, geared toward K-6.
  • ESL adult ed. local grant from Telluride Foundation. Paying a director and contractors to provide English language classes to adults. TSD currently taking some money out of cultural liason services budget and putting it toward the adult ed program. The hope is that Telluride Foundation will pay this in full next year.
  • Quarterly budget report in Board packet.
  1. $5000 grant from Telluride Foundation for fall 2013 Entrepreneurship Class.
  1. Policies/Discussion
  • Review of conduct code—some changes made.
  • Clarification by Cheryl–Phones in class can be a device used for educational purposes. The ban should be on inappropriate use of a cell phone in the classroom.
  • Should the superintendent or the Board be the hearing officer for expulsion? Usually the superintendent is the hearing officer and the Board becomes the appeal party. Consensus to have the superintendent be the hearing officer so the Board can become the appeal party.

SCHOOL BOARD MEETING

Student council report: Amber Metz, junior rep

Current projects:

  • Winter formal this Saturday at the Elks from 7:30-11:45. Doing a lot to ensure it is a safe and fun environment. Made an informative video to show to the high school students.
  • Water fountains have been replaced using money raised by student council.
  • Blood drive on Thursday through Interact.

Global Fluency Committee Presentation:

  • The committee presented their video to the Board. Kyle thanked the committee for their passion and work. How can we meet the needs of our English speaking and Latino students and create a program that benefits all?
  • School board created a district goal for all students to have the opportunity to be globally fluent by the time they leave high school.
  • Dual language program currently active in TECC preschool. Would like to begin with kindergarten in fall of 2014 and expand one grade each year.
  • Next year, kindergarten would have two English-only classes with students receiving Spanish instruction through a 4x/week World Language class as a special. Two dual immersion classes would be taught by a bi-literal/bi-cultural Spanish teacher and a native English-speaking teacher with language acquisition background. These teachers would teach both sections of the dual immersion classes for a half day, so students would receive their core instruction in Spanish for half the day and English for half the day.
  • Once students get into grades 6-8, students would be grouped for Spanish instruction by ability for literacy instruction only, in addition to a possible Heritage class for native Spanish speakers. The high school program class options will most likely need to change as students with more Spanish ability move up through the grades.

Kyle: Many school visits in Colorado and Utah have been done and much research has been looked at. Unsuccessful programs usually do not have the long term planning and commitment needed. The cost of the program is in the hiring of a person to teach the World Language classes for the non-immersion students, and PD. There will also be a cost ($7000 is a high estimate) for materials for new immersion classrooms. With the passage of 3A, we can use this money for the professional development.

The committee hopes to have a brochure available by the middle of February with meeting dates and a timeline.

THE VIDEO PRESENTED AT THE BOARD MEETING BY THE COMMITTEE IS NOW READY FOR VIEWING ON THE TSD WEBSITE.

Mike: TMHS report:

The Moab 8th-11th grade trip was developed 8 years ago in response to hazing—wanting to build relationships between students of different ages and teachers. As hazing is no longer an issue, the focus of the trip is changing. The goal now is to maximize benefits of the trip by implementing leadership opportunities and focus on collaboration skills.

The cross district math committee will present before June a recommendation for a curriculum adoption. Looking at about 8 curriculums.

Kyle: TSD report

Thanks to We-R1 and Pinhead for Stargazers series which was very well attended.

Friday night there is a basketball game against Norwood and it is also Rotary night so Rotary participants will be recognized.

Board retreat:

Telluride 2027: What will it look like for next year’s kinder class when they graduate? How will we change to respond to the needs of our incoming students? The administration and board are beginning to brainstorm ideas. Kyle will be holding three optional sessions with teachers for them to contribute their ideas as well. Then suggestions will be taken from the community. Administration wants to be forward looking.

Mon Feb 10: Work session

Tues Feb 11: Board mtg.

 

~Thanks to Michelle for taking notes.

Accountability

 

2. Tech committee is aware of issues regarding: installation of software rights on your laptops. It’s on the “fixit” list. We talked about availability of TI-84 calculators for students to use (especially for standardized tests, since they can’t use phones, etc. for those). We are aware that licenses need to be updated or added for crucial software apps.

ADDED NOTE FROM KEN: All teachers should have administrative rights to their own computers. If not, that is an oversight and can be easily remedied. If they are talking about student computers, they do NOT have administrative rights (by design), but they can put in a work order for whatever those needs are. The only needs I am aware of are Sketchpad on the MS MacBook cart (scheduled for the next two days), and some software that Derek purchased on his own. Please let me know if there are others (or direct folks to the Technology Issue Form).

 

2. Ken and committee are aware of the internet issues. Ken spent much of the day yesterday trying to get us up and running consistently. It’s a huge problem for anyone whose work depends upon internet— including Admin Assistants, Library, College Counseling— and we know that it affects student projects as well.

a. When our new upgrade is finished , we will have redundant systems with Eagle Net, Century Link, and Time Warner. While they don’t provide the same amount of bandwidth, it’s the best backup we can have.

b. To reiterate from Kyle’s tech message of a few weeks ago, THIS UPGRADE TO BANDWIDTH WILL COST LESS THAN WE ARE CURRENTLY PAYING FOR THE LIMITED BANDWIDTH WE HAVE TODAY.

ADDITIONAL NOTE FROM KEN: The internet will become more redundant. As it is, our uptime is as good as it gets in Telluride andwe’ll soon be #1. Still, a Plan B is always a good idea.

 

3. Tech purchases have been taken from general fund and/or capital reserve for the past few years since the economy went south. With the levy, we have the funds to have a recurring tech budget that will help us support district goals for kids.

 

4. An issue expressed was that teachers do not have a voice in the purchases. A disturbing fact is that the message was echoed by a parent/community member, who said s/he had heard this from a teacher.

a. The tech committee is formed of teachers responsible for technology from every building, and administrators are always invited. Any and all input to Kyle, Ken, Mike, Tava, Chery, James, Heather or Chris E is always brought to the table and discussed.

b. I will add this, not discussed at accountability, but important. If teachers feel they have urgent issues that are not being addressed, please let any of tech committee and admins know so that we can fix the problem, instead of turning it into a community-wide issue. In that vein, teachers need to be aware that there is a priority list, determined by using the TSD Technology Issue form online at http://tellurideschool.org/form/One.aspx (You have to log in to the District page before you see the FORMS button).

 

 

5. “Shovel Ready” PURCHASES planned from mill levy: every upcoming purchase is based first and foremost on District Goals for student success. Most of these, we’ve known the need for some time, but haven’t been able to afford them. At this time, the most needed purchases are first on the list:

a. TES laptop cart ($28k) and two “Neo” carts for third grade keyboarding and writing program( about $ 7k each)

b. One TIS netbook cart (about $10k)

c. Sound field amplifiers in all classroom: This is required by IEP for some students, and research has shown that other students benefit from these systems; the teacher can speak in normal voice, but even when workingwith back turned, all students can hear instructions, etc. Training will be provided. Laura Ianacone is using one now, if you’d like to see one in action. You don’t have to try to talk over a class of students any longer.

d. IT support person to help Ken get to all this stuff: about $50 k for a 12 month position. This is the going rate for technology specialists. (admins/ Ken/ Tech Committee will create job description and interview candidates)

ADDITIONAL NOTE FROM KEN: This is just a comment – all of the proposed new purchases can be tied directly to teacher requests. We actually are listening.

 

6. Document cameras in each classroom: You don’t have to have a document camera if you don’t want one. Training will be require in order to receive one. I will attach a document of ideas for using document cameras in the classroom.

 

7. Lack of training and support for MHS teachers was much discussed, especially for using the mimeo devices and software. It was mentionedthat our staff includes James Taschek, a mimeo expert and trainer for the mimeo company, and have never enlisted him to teach teachers to use the mimeo.

 

8. Mike added that on our January collaboration day, each school willhave a session with two tech coaches from Lake Forest, to give teachers a clear idea of how tech integration coaches work within the schools. Alex asked if in-house teachers would be able to apply / interview for the tech coach position. YES.

 

 

 

CEA Fall Bargaining Conference Registration Reminder…

CEA Fall Bargaining Conference Registration Reminder…

Two deadlines for the CEA Fall Bargaining Conference are quickly approaching-

When is the deadline to reserve a hotel room?  For the group rate register by October 24.  Do not wait until the last minute because we only have a set number of rooms for each night.  The link to register and group code is located in “Lodging Information” in the conference brochure.

      When is the deadline to register for the conference?  October 31, but remember there is a class limit for the training sessions, so register early.

Please see the attached brochure for more information or contact:

Greg McQuade- gmcquade@coloradoea.org

Linda Lutz- llutz@coloradoea.org

Amie Baca- abaca@coloradoea.org

 The Regional Bargaining Councils proudly present the 2013 Fall Bargaining Conference….For our Tomorrow, We take action together Today!!

November 14-16 @ the DIA Marriott at Gateway Park. 

2013 fall conference brochure

2013 Fall Conference Brochure

2013 fall conference brochure

 

This is the link for registration:  http://www.coloradoea.org/home/MRBCRegistration.aspx

 

As stated in the brochure, this conference is dedicated to preparing our bargainers, organizers, advocates and our bargaining teams for the future.  It is encouraged to bring as many team members as possible!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

  1. 1.     May I register more than one participant?  Yes.  After you submit one registration, you will have the option to register additional participants.
  1. 2.     Do I have to register if I am a trainer/speaker?  Yes. If you are a trainer/guest speaker, fill out the registration form and mark “trainer” and then contact Linda Lutz llutz@coloradoea.org if you need a hotel room.
  1. 3.     When is the deadline to register for the conference?  October 31, but remember there is a class limit for the training sessions, so register early.
  1. 4.     When is the deadline to reserve a hotel room?  For the group rate register by October 24.  Do not wait until the last minute because we only have a set number of rooms for each night.  The link to register and group code is located in “Lodging Information” in the conference brochure.
  1. 5.     Is CDE credit available?  Yes.  One college credit from Adams State College is available for $55.  The registration information will be available at the CEA registration desk during the conference 
  1. 6.     Is there additional funding for local associations?  Yes.  10 grants of $500.00 will be available to small locals or ESP locals.  For further information about the grant opportunities, email gmcquade@coloradoea.org.             

We look forward to seeing you in November!!  Call or email us if you have further questions. 

–         Greg McQuade and Linda Lutz, CEA Bargaining and Organizing Department

1 2 3 4 5